[Start tomorrow’s homework? Go to bed? Nope. Blog.
I know you’ve all been anxiously awaiting this post.
Actually I don’t even know who “you all” would be addressing. It’s okay. I apologize for my tardiness – this weekend was full of wonderful shenanigans and while I did start this post on Friday, I didn’t finish before it was time to meet up with a friend I hadn’t seen for a whole year and then celebrate my apartmentmate’s 21st birthday…and then came packing, leaving, arriving, sleeping, breakfasting (apparently that’s a word, though technically I believe the term would be “breaking fast”), churching, graduation partying, canasta playing, homeworking, and an impromptu drive up to Ventura to see my great uncle for possibly the last time. Lots of life. But the Friday Favorites must go on!]
Fun fact, I’m writing this in my car outside my college’s cafeteria. I’m parked in 15-minute parking, which is where I’ve been for the past half an hour. Living that rebel life, yo.
It’s been a good week. My finals were really chill this semester and I am not complaining. No huge exams and only one big research paper. I’ll take it. Thank you and good night.
The fun thing about non-stressful finals is that you can still use them to justify stuff. Like going out for frozen yogurt by yourself (I managed not to do this, but the temptation was very present) and buying the cereal you resisted for months because it’s so expensive and then you found out that it’s now sweetened with sugar instead of just molasses and that made you angry enough to decide not to buy it even though you thought about it pretty much every day during your Whole30 (that’s a true story. Couldn’t make it out of Trader Joe’s without a box of GF Puffins to get me through proofing my Latin American Literature essay). I think mostly finals are just a generally-accepted reason to eat whatever you want and not be judged for it. Do what you gotta do, right? And then of course you have to celebrate the end of finals with more fun food. I did.
So let’s get to that list, shall we?
Things I am especially thankful for this week:
1. Let’s just get the obvious out of the way. FINALS ARE OVER!!! And I only have one semester + 2 summer classes left before I’m done with college. No more spring semesters for me!
2. And on a similar note, I’m going home tomorrow!! And I have friends who are excited to see me!3. I got invited to be the prose section editor of my favorite student publication for next year 🙂
4. My awesome mama, who absolutely deserves to be celebrated every day and not just Mother’s Day. But celebrating especially on Mother’s Day doesn’t hurt. I’m sad that college doesn’t let me spend that day with my family but I plan on making up for missing it asap!
5. Orange tulips! And all of the green that exploded this week. And the fact that the temps in Orange County are dropping from the 100s back down to the 70s just in time for my arrival. I’m undeniably a California girl and I like my moderate temperatures and sunny days as much as the next Southern California resident, much as I would prefer to disassociate myself sometimes. Like this time. So much embarrassment.
7. Nights out in Boston! We walked down Newbury Street and it was so lovely outside. And then we went to JP Lick’s and I discovered hemp milk ice cream.
8. The Lord of the Rings soundtracks, aka my finals survival playlist. Because I don’t think there’s anything else that could have motivated me to write an essay response that I should have needed an hour for in under 30 minutes.
9. Squat PR’s on my last leg day of the semester. Gonna miss the gym this summer, that’s for sure.
10. Long hugs that won’t suffice for a summer of apartness, but try to anyway.
It was a full week/end. I might be experiencing jetlag for the first time in my life. Go to bed late, wake up
way too freaking early. I guess it’s okay. I did a good job of sleeping enough this semester. Now I need a real job…
Recipes are on the way!